Ask a Question

How do you find out if someone had life insurance?

My mom swears Dad had a life insurance policy but he died without telling anyone if he did or where it is. How do we find out if he had any life insurance policies in his name? We cannot find any documentation or even any mail from an insurance company.
Status: Open    Jun 10, 2015 - 08:53 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 16, 2015 - 12:28 PM

I always suggest that you start with your parents banker and home owner or auto insurance provider, in allot of cases they would been the ones that sold them the policy or know who did, from their conversations. Some states you can contact the Insurance commissioner's office and they will have a record of active policies, (Not all states provide this level of detail) , Check bank statesments for reocurring fees, and past employers for any company policies that may have been in existance.

Sep 18, 2015 - 02:13 PM

A permanent policy holder would usually receive an annual statement from the insurance company. This is the generally the anniversary of the policy, not an end of year statement. Keep on the lockout for any statement in the mail for up to 12 months.

Some states are requiring that insurance companies periodically check available death certificates to locate unpaid policies. You might call your state department of insurance and ask if that is true for your state. Also, ask them for advice about your question.

Sep 30, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Sometimes benefits are turned over to unclaimed property offices in the state where your father lived.

Also, you can try calling the 800 number for each of these top insurance companies: AIG , John Hancock, MetLife, Nationwide, Prudential.

Good luck on your hunt!



Jan 23, 2016 - 08:11 AM

Check the State Comptroller's Office in your state. Most money that is unclaimed must be directed to this office where it is held for a period of time. Most states call this Lost Cash or Cash Dash but it should have a site on the Comprtollers web site. Search by name. Do this for every state where your Father has lived.
If you know the name of the company that he delt with or the agent you could check with the company or agency. If this is a policy that he took out while working you might get some information as to the company that his employer used if you call them.
Hope you find good fortune in your search as I am sure it would be of help.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members