Ask a Question

What do I do about Dad's unfiled taxes?

I just found out Dad hasn't filed his taxes in over five years! What do I do now? I have been sorting through his financial accounts and noticed he didn't have copies of his most recent tax returns. That's when I found out he hadn't filed for his federal or state income taxes since 2009!
Status: Open    Jun 09, 2015 - 02:22 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 24, 2015 - 01:41 AM

Ultimately you will need a CPA, but you might consider hiring a Daily Money Manager (generally for less cost) to do the forensic work of finding everything and sorting through what is necessary and what is not, in order to provide CPA with all the tax records. I would also open dialog with the IRS to explain the situation and get their advice. Hopefully your father has designated a financial Power of Attorney. If not, and he still has capacity to understand what he is doing, it would be a very good idea to see an estate or elder law attorney to update his legal paperwork. Otherwise, he may be facing guardianship.

Sep 28, 2015 - 12:07 PM

There will have been penalties and fees accruing on the taxes owed for the years he hasn't filed. You can ask that reports of the years which he has not filed and the amounts owed, including penalties and fees, be sent to him. The IRS even has an automated telephone service that may let him request these without being on hold to talk with a representative. This will help you get organized and begin fixing the problem! You and your father should consider using the help of a CPA or tax attorney to navigate this issue.


Jul 30, 2015 - 10:04 PM

It might be a good idea to contact a CPA in your area for assistance, they will be better able to help you manage this and do so efficiently, and correctly.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members