Ask a Question

Do I need more than a Power of Attorney & Legal Will?

When a spouse is admitted to an assisted living facility, Do I need more than a Power of Attorney & Legal Will?

My husband and I have been married for 19 years. He was diagnosed with Alzheimers around 4 to 5 years ago. When the time comes (he does have long term insurance) will I need more than the legal will we had drawn up 2 years ago and Power of Attorney to handle situations as they arrise.... A daughter of a man with alzheimers was admitting her father in an assisted living facility and closing his accounts, selling automobile, dealing with social security and she was not able to do these things with just the power of attorney....she had to go through the court system and a judge had to authorize everything ...
Status: Open    May 30, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Jul 01, 2015 - 05:58 AM

You need to meet with an local attorney that specialized in elder law. Even though your husband has long term care insurance, the question is how much does it pay and for how long. You need to protect your assets and a Will does not do that. A Will is only valid after a person dies. Also a power of attorney can be drafted poorly if done by an attorney who does not specialize in elder law. You have the time to research and look into options, you should not wait until it becomes an emergency.

Sep 30, 2015 - 12:34 PM

I’d suggest you also get a health care power of attorney, in order to be able to make medical and personal placement decisions.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members