Ask a Question

How do I have an emergency placement done on someone with dementia?

My mother suffers from dementia. I think it's Alzheimer's but she refuses to go to the Doctor so we have no diagnosis. She's been out of her medications for months yet refuses to go in for refills. She lived with me for 2 years then my sister moved into Mom's home for the last 10 months. It was an extremely volatile situation! Mom says horrible, hateful things constantly. Three days ago things became critical. Mom accused my sister of assault and in her state there is no need of proof, (she has no marks or bruises but claims she was hit with fists) all it takes is an accusation and the accused goes to jail! Now my sister has an order of protection against her and can't be around my mother. I'm 700 miles away and cannot go at this time. I called Adult protective services to see about getting Mom to a Doctor and emergency placed. They can't do anything if Mom refuses and she of course refused. So now, she is in her home alone, a neighbor and a man from APS will check on her from time to time. Trouble is, she has no business being alone. She can't handle paying bills so the utilities will soon be off. She eats spoiled food and doesn't realize that certain foods need to be refrigerated. She has one very old A/C, won't let us install another and it's 95 in her house! I'm at a loss, any suggestions on how to get my mom placed where she can be cared for?
Status: Open    May 25, 2015 - 01:24 PM

Dementia, Elder Law

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers


May 31, 2015 - 10:58 AM

You should contact an lawyer that knows Elder Law.
You will probably have to have a Guardianship put into place.
Another suggestion would be to contact Senior Services in her area.
If she has any friends it might help if you contact one of them and ask for them to check on her at least you will have another "witness" to the behavior and the conditions that she is in.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By dickersonmelissa1 on Mar 03, 2017 - 06:45 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

I am in the same situation .My mother has dementia and is left home all day by her self and doesn't want to bathe ,talks very mean to the family and her friends i have sent over there to check on her.
People have even told me that she wont answer the door .im worried being that i dont live close and my sister has power of attorney but she is not doing what she needs to be as far our mother goes.She stays in her room most of the day. HELP IM WORRIED THAT SHE MAY HURT HERSELF OF SOMEONE

Add New Comment

Jun 09, 2015 - 02:03 AM

Depending on the State Rules. Adult Protective Services can and does do emergency placements. They simply need to be able to meet the criteria in the Rules with what they see in the client/circumstances. In a few days or weeks, or if you call her phone and get no answer, you can call and request police to do a "welfare check". Police and APS work side by side for people's protection. In your question, you said your sister had just been in the home. It is possible that the home was well kept, and there was nothing out of order for APS to "see". From what you speak of, there will be consequences in her environment before long. APS may delay, realizing there is an interested relative out there. I would suggest you forgo the personal inconvenience, and go take care of the placement of your Mother into a care facility, whether it be in her town or yours. There are organizations that can be hired to provide transport to her new destination, with your involvement.

Jun 20, 2015 - 11:28 AM

You are in a tough spot. Although she doesn't realize it, and likely won't, your mother is VERY lucky to have you. Continue to create a 'paper trail' by calling APS, contacting police for welfare checks (as mentioned before) when she doesn't answer the phone. It's amazing how someone with dementia can put up a good 'front' when there is an authority figure in front of them for a short time, but I have learned in all my years there will be a time she is 'checked on' when things aren't right and someone will be able to act. Continue to do what you are doing, it will give you a peace of mind you are doing all you can do on her behalf, and there will be a moment she can't put up her front. If you fear for her health in the heat, contact APS with that concern as well. They may check on her more often.

Keep your head up and continue to push forward looking out for her best interests, you are doing the right thing.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By ltlmi on Jun 01, 2016 - 11:00 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Avoid a Court Appointed Legal Guardian. Many, if not all, are corrupt and will block communication between you and your Mother. They will not send you updates on her health. Nor will you be notified if/when she is hospitalized. It is astonishing, heartbreaking and criminal.

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members