Ask a Question

What identification does Medicaid accept?

My mother is in assisted living but her assets are almost gone. We will have to make alternate care arrangements quickly. We are trying to apply for Medicaid for her to give us more options in terms of Nursing Homes or Home Health Aides if she comes to live with us. The problem is that she was adopted from overseas and we don't have a way to get a birth certificate for her. She is a US citizen for over 50 years and has an expired passport which we are having trouble finding. What else will Medicaid accept for identification besides a birth certificate?
Status: Open    May 19, 2015 - 10:28 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Aug 27, 2015 - 01:51 PM

She will need proof of her age and proof of her citizenship. She can use a drivers license or state ID and her naturalization papers or her passport.IML


Jun 02, 2015 - 01:48 AM

I recently faced the same situation as my mother is originally born in Honduras, but has been a US citizen for 60+ years. I couldn't find naturalization papers, passport or birth certificate -- but her ss card and medicare card met the requirements --- This might help
Best wishes,


Answer this question

Recently Active Members