Ask a Question

How can I take care of my Mom and still work?

My Mom had a stroke last year and can't be left alone, she can talk, feed herself and use her right side. I work and have a family. Are there any resources to help me?
Status: Open    May 08, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Caregiving, Finance

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 answers

Expert Answers

Aug 19, 2015 - 01:19 PM

If your mom has funds, she can pay you as a caregiver and that will not be an impermissible transfer should she need to apply for Medicaid later. However you will need to claim the payments as income.


May 16, 2015 - 03:48 PM

Have you looked into Adult Day Care programs in your area? If she qualifies it might be good for her. Some have restrictions on levels of care, if she needs too much care they may not be able to accept her.
If she requires no medical attention but just companionship a caregiver might work out, they will watch her and care for her and often do light house cleaning. They can not give out medications though. You would need someone more qualified to do that.

good luck..keep in mind that although you want to do as much as you can for her you have your family that needs you as well. They, and you should be your priority

Jun 07, 2015 - 12:48 PM

You can go to your Area Aging Agency and Council on Aging. The Council on Aging is listed and a part of your town hall or city hall services. They can help direct you to your Area Aging Agency and they can help you find resources in your area.

They will help you.

Jun 08, 2015 - 06:01 AM

Any experienced caregiver can indeed pass out prescribed meds!! If you hire someone to care for your Mom while you work, pay them $1.00 more per hr. than they would recieve at a local nursing home. With a private care person your mother gets 1-1 care!! Never the case in a nursing home.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members