Ask a Question

How do we get our mother to take medication for mental illness?

She is 95 and very paranoid. My mother lives in an apartment, refuses to let anyone help her with her bills, hates her doctor who recommended an antidepressant for her mood swings, but she refuses to take them. She also drives and this is very alarming to us. I live in another state, mother lives near my sister and granddaughter who make sure she has what she needs, but she is very difficult.

Status: Open    Feb 09, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Senior Health & Nutrition, Caregiving

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Sep 25, 2015 - 07:36 AM

Perhaps someone else could help your Mother such as a Geriatric Psychologist or Psychiatrist who could perform some definitive tests to determine her actual diagnosis and what may help her. Or an Elder Care Attorney who could help her get her affairs in order as it relates to Durable Power of Attorney, Advance Directives. He could also look at her money management efforts to determine the help she may need. Or he/she may recommend filing for guardianship or conservative through the courts. You could let both professionals know you and your sister are willing to help. If she continues not to trust anyone and seek help or sound counsel, then speak with her county agency on aging and talk to the social worker about your concerns. You could also seek the services of a geriatric care manager in her area who could meet with her and assess her needs. IF she is a clear danger to herself and others the adult protective services of her state/county could possibly help.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members