Ask a Question

Are there resources to pay for safety supplies in my parents' home?

Status: Open    Jan 29, 2015 - 09:51 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

May 10, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Safety supplies and home modifications are very important in keeping your parents safe. These include Stair lifts, wheelchair ramps, pull out shelves, handrails, and many more. Therefore there are several ways you can get financial assistance for these changes.

Medicare covers durable medical equipment (DME), if it is medically necessary (e.g. wheelchairs, scooters). However, Medicare does not cover home modifications or assistive devices.

Medicaid offers Managed Care programs in most states, which pay for different things, including assistive technologies and home modifications.

You can contact your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), and they can refer you to organizations or government programs that provide assistance.

Some governmental organizations offer low interest loans, which you will eventually need to pay back.

Some nonprofit organizations provide Free Labor. This will cover the labor costs, but not the materials.

Some organizations loan free equipment which doesn’t have to be returned until the borrower is done with it.


Comments (1) | New Comment

By lucylettis on Dec 11, 2016 - 01:57 PM | Like (0)  |  Report

I've read that assisted living facilities accept residents only if they are healthy. My 88-year old husband has heart failure and severe arthritis. He is currently at a rehab center and making excellent progress. He will be discharged next week to come home. Planning ahead, would assisted living facilities accept him if we find I can no longer care for him?

Add New Comment

APFM Staff Answers

Feb 25, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Some things are considered covered under Medicare part B like durable medical equipment, or known as DME's. For example: walkers, hospital beds, oxygen equipment, diabetic equipment. Typically you pay 20% of what the value you might be and you also need a referral from your doctor for this.


Answer this question

Recently Active Members