Ask a Question

My dad was a veteran, will his benefits cover my mom’s hearing aid?

My 87 year old mother needs a hearing aid, My dad is dead and a honorably discharged veteran. Can she get assist, can she get VA to help her? My dad was in WW2.
Status: Open    Feb 02, 2015 - 09:04 AM

VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Nov 19, 2015 - 11:00 AM

If your father served: at least 90 days, one of which was during war time (Decebmer 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 for WWII) and was not dishonorably discharged she could qualify for Improved pension, Aid & Attendance. If her income for VA purposes is below $1,100 per month (approximately) she may qualify. Her income is calculated as income less medical expenses. There are other requirements and amounts. That is the basic rule. This can include expenses for housekeeping and such if medically required. This is a very short explaination of a very complex process. If she is anywhere close to qualifying seek an attorney who can assist with a VA application.
Here are some links to help you or further confuse you.


APFM Staff Answers

Feb 16, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, the answer is No. Even Veterans have to meet certain criteria to qualify. You may be able to use any unreimbursed expense to apply for Aid and Attendance, though.

Hearing aids are very expensive. Here is a helpful article on the AARP website that may give you some ideas:

Answer this question

Recently Active Members