Ask a Question

How many, if any, residences, provide 'one stop' facilities, from assisted living, thru end of days?

Status: Open    Jan 19, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Senior Living Communities

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer

Expert Answers

Feb 03, 2015 - 10:12 AM

What you are asking about is considered a "Continuum of Care Retirement Community," often referred to as a "CCRC". They are becoming more popular in most states as a kind of "one stop shop" senior community. Here at The Fremont, we have Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care as an example of a CCRC. Some will also have 55+ apartments and many also include skilled nursing.

As for a specific number, it is hard to say how many CCRC's exist. However, I would recommend always being aware of your loved one "aging in place" for as long as possible and moving as little as possible over that time. If your chosen community offers only one level of service, it would be beneficial to look into your preferred communities that offer a higher level of care so you have some idea of what is available should he or she ever require more care. A good example of this is being aware of assisted living communties if your loved one is moving to an independent living.

Lastly, some (but not all) assisted living communities do offer palliative/end of life care. However, assisted living communities are bound by strict laws governing the extent and types of care provided. Many states rate communities based on the level they are able to provide. For example, The Fremont provides Assisted Living Level 2 care, the highest available assisted living level of care before skilled nursing. Because of this license, we are able to care for end of life care through hospice services without a resident moving. If you are researching assisted living specifically, be sure to ask how the community is licensed (type of license) and examples of why someone would receive notice. There are too many examples to enumerate here and they vary by state laws. Some only allow one person transfer assistance. Some require residents to make "pathway to safety." Whatever the requirements, be sure to inquire during your research.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members