APFM Staff Answers
Feb 25, 2015 - 02:26 PM
After my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s I went into research mode.
- I read books about the progression and the care needs - http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2013-4-24-top-alzheimers-books-for-caregivers/
- I joined a support group that was very informative - http://www.alz.org/
- I learned a lot on line from different articles on dementia - http://www.aplaceformom.com/senior-care-resources
- I went to symposiums on Alzheimer’s at a research university local to me
- I spoke with the my dad’s clergy to discuss the road ahead and how to pull in help
- I reviewed my parents long term care insurance together with them
- I arranged Powers of Attorney and reviewed dad’s will and living trust with his lawyer
- I met with dad’s financial planner and moved assets to safer investments
- I gathered all of dads military records - http://www.archives.gov/veterans/
- And I spoke with a Senior Living Advisor at A Place For Mom in Phoenix who helped me research places dad could go when things got worse. Each place I toured had a wealth of information to share too. http://www.aplaceformom.com/eldercare-advisors
Over time, all of these resources came to play and were very helpful as our family dealt with this challenge.
Dad has been gone a few years now but we weathered the storm together as a loving family.
May you be blessed with the grace we had.