Ask a Question

Does Medicaid ever pay for assisted living?

I know Medicaid will pay for skilled nursing care or home care, why not assisted living since it is less expensive?
Status: Open    Dec 20, 2014 - 02:06 PM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

6 answers

Expert Answers

Jan 16, 2015 - 05:14 PM

So long as you are in a care center, Medicaid will provide funding.

Funding is based on financial eligibility.

My recommendation is you speak with an elder care attorney or advisor who has expertise with Medicaid services to help you with eligibility and and how to apply.

Another source is to go to
Comments (1) | New Comment

By martyginty on Aug 13, 2016 - 04:21 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

This is not correct - it varies from state to state. PA does NOT allow Medicaid to pay for assisted living.

Add New Comment

Sep 08, 2015 - 02:09 PM

Medicaid is a Federally funded benefit but is administered individually on a state-by-state basis. Within some states the funding and qualification vary county-by-county. This makes it vitally important that you contact an elder law attorney or financial consulant in your area who is familiar with both the state and local regulalations and interprepretation of the code. Individual funding levels may determine if benefits are available in assisted living or in-home, and again can vary county by county.

Voted Best Answer

Jan 22, 2015 - 12:01 AM

Medical only covers these types of expenses if you qualify. That means, the poor qualify. The rich can pay for it. As always, the middle class who is stuck in the middle, gets screwed. My father, who has worked very hard his whole life and bought a home, saved some money, put kids through college, etc. will likely lose everything he has worked so hard for all his life to pay for my mom's care (alzheimers care facility). THEN, he will qualify for Medical (previously Medicaid) to pay for it! Pathetic system...


Feb 22, 2015 - 08:20 PM

My mother is in the same situation. She has to private pay for skill nursing since her medicare 100 days expired and she still has a stage 4 bedsore. She has some cash but not a lot when her money run out she will qualify for med-cal. the cost for snf is outrages and the quality of service is terrible.

Nov 08, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I have a friend who talked to a senior support lawyer and social worker. Some states will take everything if a spouse dies and they have paid for anything. The advice is to establish a trust for all assets. Also there is a program that protects the real estate so it also is protected. A lawyer who specializes in elder care and medicade is essential. The social worker helped her understand the huge amount of paperwork to receive medicade. Talk to some specialist for help. There are alternatives and trusts are the way to go to avoid probate. These comments are from listening to what my friend has gone through and the state specific requirements to protect assets. Do it soon. The lawyer must be knowledgeable about state rules and regulations and understand how trusts work. Good luck to all.

Nov 09, 2015 - 07:17 AM

There are some states that do allow Medicaid payments for Assisted Living. They call it Supportive Living Facilities. Illinois is one such state. There may be others. Current Illinois law allows for a community spouse to retain some of the joint assets. As stated above, laws change from time to time and vary state by state. Consult your local DHS office and an elder care attorney for more information.
Comments (1) | New Comment

By pirie.samara on Jul 10, 2016 - 11:12 AM | Like (0)  |  Report

Does Phoenix, Arizona have supportive living facilities? My father is 74 and needs full care. He does not drive anymore and thinks that all his daughters should care for him. Its overwhelming to care for him as I do not have additional income nor time to take him to the doctor and manage his care. We need help. Its a family issue that needs resolution very soon. His income is 1500 a month and this is not enough for 2K a month needed for the care homes. Please help us figure out what to do.

Add New Comment

Answer this question

Recently Active Members