Ask a Question

What are good bathroom safety products for a parent who had a hip replacement?

Dad had a hip replacement and is now having trouble getting into and out of the shower/tub and we can't afford to replace it with a walk in shower. How can we make this easier and safer for him?
Status: Open    Jan 06, 2015 - 12:33 AM

Senior Health & Nutrition

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 answers

Expert Answers

May 15, 2015 - 02:45 PM

The tub bench mentioned by Annflyingpoint is a good option, especially if you have lower limb weakness. It may not work if your tub/shower is enclosed by a sliding glass door. However, there are several shower chairs and benches to choose from. I have seen some people use a light weight plastic chair, but I consider them too unsafe. You might want to shop around for the best price. No matter the type of chair, it is important that you have grab bars, securely installed in the shower/tub and by the toilet. Also, an elevated (riser) seat for the toilet will help keep your Dad safe.

Usually someone who has had a hip replacement is eligible for a few home health visits by a therapist, who will evaluate the equipment and make suggestions for any other adaptations that can be made. The therapist will also help your Dad learn how to get in and out of the shower/tub without hurting himself. Even if he received inpatient therapy after his surgery, I always recommend a Home Health visit by a therapist. They can adapt their teaching based on the actual home situation



Jan 25, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I am a post polio survivor who also had a hip replacement on my good leg about four years ago. I have a bench that goes right out from the tub and onto the bathtub floor. The other leg of the bench is on the bathroom floor. I can sit on it and get my legs into the tub. It has been a real lifesaver for me. I am a polio survivor at age 82 and had polio at age 13. I hope that this is helpful. This was delivered right to me while I was still in rehab. Surely it can be found at any medical supply store.


May 14, 2015 - 11:15 AM

I believe the earlier answer is referncing a 'transfer board.' I would suggest calling your physcian's office as they may be able to order such an assistive device through Medicare depending on your dad's plan. Not only will it help make it easier for him it sounds as if it may give you a peace of mind!


Answer this question

Recently Active Members