Ask a Question

How can I find a podiatrist who does home visits and can address toenail fungus?

Hi - my parents are in thier 80's. Mom has PSP Pogressive Supraneuro Palsy - and my dad is her primary care person.
She has serious toenail fungus and is unhappy about that. I am looking for someone to address it - preferrably in their home - a podiatrist, a pedicurist, or even give me instructions about what to do and I will do it.
They saw a podiatrist who told them that seniors often have this problem and that oral medication has many side effects and not to worry. Mom has always had very good hand and feet hygiene and this makes her sad. I would like to find someone who will help.

thank you
Status: Open    Dec 23, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Caregiving, Senior Health & Nutrition

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer


Dec 28, 2014 - 04:34 PM

My mom has the same problem and we brought it up to her primary care doctor at one of her regular appointments. She referred us to a podiatrist who regularly cuts mom's nails, which we cannot do at home because they have thickened significantly with the fungus. The podiatrist also prescribed a nail treatment that gets painted on like nail polish, and an antifungal cream for her lower legs and feet, as the skin in her toes isn't in the best shape either. The podiatrist gave us additional info about home care but with the application of the two topical treatments, it improved and we didn't need in-home help. Remember, fungus isn't a cosmetic issue that can be pedicured away. You must attack the problem to get rid of it rather than get a pedicure to make the feet appear to look better. The podiatrist visits are every other month and covered by MediCal/Medicare since the visits were referred by her doc. Hope this helps
Answer this question

Recently Active Members