Ask a Question

Is there financial assistance in Oklahoma for seniors whose spouses were wounded WWII veterans and received 100% disability?

My mother is now in assisted living but we would like to move her home with assistance. Right now she needs someone to monitor her glucose and give her insulin shot twice daily(type 2) She also has a catheter and the bag has to be emptied twice daily. We hoped to get a CNA or LPN to come in twice a day to do the insulin and bag. We can only depend on Home Health which medicare covers once a week who also helps bathe her. My dad, her husband J.T. Sadler, Jr., was an army veteran of WW11, critically shot in the back close to his spine which caused problems throughout his life. He finally received full 100% disability very late in life. He passed three and a half yrs ago. My mother's only money is that able to be saved during this short time my dad received it which is now only about $40,000 which is quickly being depleted. Her social security is $1000 a month and she has an IRA of $14,000. Is there any assistance we can get for her so she can live at home with assistance? Her three children own the home in which she lives and have owned it for about 12 years.
Status: Open    Dec 16, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Finance, VA Benefits

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers

Expert Answers

Sep 23, 2015 - 10:22 AM


Your best bet is to have a conversation with a Veterans Service Officer in your area. They will be able to explain the Federal Benefits that you mother could be entitled to as well as any state benefits that are available in Oklahoma. Since I am unsure where exactly in the state that you live here is a link to locate one closest to you:

The type of benefits that your mother should apply for will be based on what your father passed from. If any of his service connected conditions contributed to his death then your mother should apply for the VA Dependency Indemity Compensation. If his death was unrelated to service connected conditions then it sounds like she would be eligible to apply for the VA Survivor's Pension with Aid & Attendance Benefits.

Also do not forget to file for Burial Benefits, (if not done previously) because he was receiving VA Compensation at the time of his death.

Should you have any further questions please feel free to send me a message via the APFM website or through any of my contact information listed on my profile page.

Sep 28, 2015 - 12:09 PM

Your mother might be eligible for a surviving spouse VA Pension and Aid & Attendance benefit to help pay for her care costs. There are criteria for eligibility, such as limits on assets and income. You may want to seek the guidance of an Accredited VA Attorney. A list of people who have received this designation through the VA can be found on
Answer this question

Recently Active Members