Ask a Question

How do I care for my disabled brother?

My little brother has Down's syndrome and lives with my parents. I've tried to talk them into letting him move to a specialized group home but they refuse to discuss it or what will happen to him after they die.
Status: Open    Nov 15, 2014 - 05:12 AM


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 answer


Mar 15, 2015 - 06:03 PM

The reason they haven't answered your questions is because they probably don't know the answers.

It is a tough spot but eventually they will have to face it.

Depending on how old they are (and how old you are) they may think that they have plenty of time to make a decision....but we never know when we will no longer be able to take care of our affairs - due to death, accident, or illness.

Since you have already tried to address the issues you might be better served it you have someone else they trust address the subject.

There are other options than just putting him into a specialized group home...and a special needs trust inside a Revocable Living Will.... can help them spell out their wishes.

Good luck.
Answer this question

Recently Active Members