Ask a Question

How do I deal with dementia behavior issues?

How do I handle my mom's behavior issues when we are in public? She asks strangers very personal and inappropriate questions and if they don't answer she gets angry at them.
Status: Open    Sep 05, 2014 - 02:24 AM

Dementia, Caregiving

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 answers


Jan 14, 2015 - 12:54 AM

The only really good bit of advice I received from a Social Worker was to have some cards printed about the size of a Business Card 60 x 90mm - explaining Mum has Alzheimer's Dementia and just pass the card to the person, it usually works.

We still have very awkward moments when Mum talks very loud about people in a restaurant we are in, they either ignore her, I or my husband manages to speak to them which is ok - some have even said they knew she had Dementia because of her eyes? More than a few have said that.

May 14, 2015 - 11:23 AM

As mentioned earlier I have heard families do just that, it helps the person she is attempting to interact with not take her questions or comments so personal. That being said it's important to realize when enough is enough. Is taking your mom out in public on a regular basis helpful for you (it sounds like it may cause you undue frustration) and/or create some level of anger and frustration for her. I think a good question to ask yourself is why you are taking her out? Is it becaues you have no one to watch her? Because you want to be sure she sees other people and stays active? It might be a good idea to check into the services offered for seniors with memory loss through a day program, a respite program or resources to come into the home so you can get away and so she can have the interaction we as human beings crave, despite memory loss or not. The local Alzheimer's Association as well as the local Area Agency on Aging are good starts for many families. You may want to also consider contacting a Senior Living Advisor at A Place for Mom about respite services for seniors with memory loss. You can usually reach someone at 1-866-568-2989 who can connect you with an Advisor in your local area.


Answer this question

Recently Active Members