Healthy Senior Breakfast Recipes
A Place for Mom Senior Nutrition Expert and Stanford Hospital and Clinics Registered Dietitian, Heather Schwartz, shares a tasty and nutritious breakfast that’s yummy enough to be a tasty treat as well as a healthy start to the day.
Dietician Recommended Senior Breakfast Recipes
“When I had this, I added 1 tablespoon of crushed, raw walnuts on top for added protein and healthy fats as well as Trader Joe’s canned pumpkin which adds a beautiful source of vitamin A and C and fiber to start your day,” says Heather Schwartz, RD.
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin (canned pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup skim milk (cow, goat, rice milk or soy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- t tbs raw walnuts and almonds (crushed or slivered)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
Stove Top Directions
- Add oats and water to a 2 quart sauce pan
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Turn down to simmer
- Cook until creamy for about 8-10 minutes
- Add pumpkin
- Add milk
- Add vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Add nuts and or maple syrup
Inspired by Food.com’s “Fall Breakfast” recipe.
What are your favorite healthy senior breakfast recipes? Share them with us in the comments below.