7 Essential Questions to Ask Your Senior Living Advisor
Finding the right assisted living for a loved one can be a lengthy and emotionally draining process. Whether you’re just starting your senior care search or narrowing down your top choices, when you reach out to A Place for Mom senior living advisors for guidance, we dedicate ourselves to helping you gain peace of mind and confidence in your senior care plan.
We speak with a lot of families who say they’re not sure how to start and what questions to ask, or contrarily, have so many questions that they’re overwhelmed. We compiled the top questions families should consider asking a Senior Living Advisor to help them make a well informed decision.
1. Can you tell me about your background and experience?
Start the conversation by getting to know your Advisor in terms of their personal and professional experiences. This casual discussion helps you build a relationship with your Advisor by finding common ground and gaining confidence in their professional demeanor and skill set. Many Advisors are, or have been, caregivers for their own aging parents or grandparent. Others have helped thousands of families through the search process and will gain your trust as someone who understands what you’re going through and what you during each step along the way.
2. What can I expect from you after this conversation?
Ask your Advisor to outline the immediate next steps for your search and their role along the way. Ask about any other services they may provide, such as help identifying
- Additional opportunities in the event the first options aren’t to your liking.
- Local community resources and/or services (i.e. Meals On Wheels, support groups, legal or financial counsel, etc.)
- Additional care options down the road should your needs change, or you’re looking for options for another loved one
3. How long do you estimate each step of my senior care search process will take?
Time frames can vary depending on a number of factors, including geographic area, required care type, finances, benefits, etc. After learning about your unique situation, your Advisor should be able to provide an estimated timeline for the key milestones of your search and preparing for a move.
4. Do you know of any financial programs that are state or city specific?
If you expect you’ll need financial assistance to cover the costs of senior care, such as Medicaid or Veterans Aid, it’s best to identify and understand your options as soon as possible. Many government-funded programs have a lengthy application and approval process; however, you can apply and continue your search for care and housing options while that piece is in works.
5. Are there less expensive housing options just outside my main zip code?
Certainly tell your Advisor your location preference(s) but keep in mind you may be able to find more cost-effective options by slightly expanding your search area.
Useful Links: 10 Tips for Choosing an Assisted Living Facility
6. Can I find a community that allows us to tie in volunteer services like Meals On Wheels?
Most senior living communities have relationships with local community services and volunteer organizations. If you are currently using a service that you’d like to continue with, or you feel you may have a need in the future, let your Advisor know.
7. Do you know of any moving companies that specialize in moving seniors?
Although identifying senior care and housing options for your loved one is the primary focus at hand, remember that eventually you will likely be faced with physically moving them and any desired belongings. For some, this may involve the sale and packing up of the family home, which can be another overwhelming task. As needed, your Advisor can help connect you with local resources to help, including moving companies and related services. Just let them know what you may need.7 Essential Questions to Ask Your Senior Living Advisor by Dana Larsen
Incoming search terms:
- questions to ask senior housing
- zenio citizen on disability looking for recs about what to ask my financial advisor