10 Reasons Why We Love Betty White
Active in her career and passionate about animal welfare, Betty White has been a household name for over 70 years. She’s funny, genuine and proud of her age, and she gives us much to admire.
Betty White is an animal rights activist, pioneering female producer, award-winning actress, former model, Guinness World Record holder and social networking icon. She’s also the oldest person to host Saturday Night Live and to receive an Emmy nomination.
What’s more, is that on January 17th, she will turn 92. In honor of her birthday, here are the 10 reasons why A Place for Mom loves Betty White.
Her Love for Life
Betty White’s entertainment career began in 1939 and is still going strong today. A health-conscious, sharp-witted and gracious persona, her love for life comes across clearly in interviews and television appearances.
In a 2011 interview with ABC News, White expressed the importance of celebrating life. She says that even though we suffer losses, it’s better to have a good attitude and “‘accentuate the positive,’” especially as we get older. It’s our mental attitude that leads us to dread aging, and, as she calls it, a “‘waste of a lovely life.’” Instead, people should embrace their age and make the most of it.
Why We Love Her
As if her attitude isn’t enough, here are 10 other reasons why Betty White is easy to love.
1. One of the first female producers in Hollywood: Betty White had creative control (along with George Tibbles) of her 1950s television series Life With Elizabeth.
2. Animal rights activist: She’s one of the country’s leading activists on animal rights and has donated her time and millions of dollars to the animal charities that she supports.
3. Guinness World Record holder: With an entertainment career spanning 74 years and counting, White holds the Guinness World Record for Longest TV Career for an Entertainer (Female).
4. Social networking phenomenon: She uses Twitter and became a Facebook sensation in 2010 when a group of fans started a campaign in support of her hosting Saturday Night Live.
5. Oldest person to host Saturday Night Live. Those Facebook fans saw their wish come true in May 2010.
6. Only woman to have won an Emmy in all performing categories: She’s won once for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (The Golden Girls); twice for Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (The Mary Tyler Moore Show); and twice for Guest Actress in a Comedy Series (The John Larroquette Show and Saturday Night Live).
7. Oldest person to have been nominated for an Emmy: She was nominated at age 90 for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program for Betty White’s Off Their Rockers.
8. Author: White has written several books, including memoirs on her observations about life and her years in television. She’s also authored books on animal welfare and the benefits zoos provide for animals, people and the environment.
9. Health-conscious: White says she’s taken care of her health her entire life. She does crossword puzzles to keep her mind sharp, stays socially active, keeps current in what’s going on in the world, pays attention to her balance and has a two-story house with a set of stairs that help her stay strong.
10. She loves her job: When asked if she planned to retire soon, White said, “‘Why should I retire from something I love so much?’” She’s healthy, active, and sought after and says she can’t imagine finding something outside of her profession that would be as much fun.
What seniors in your life do you love for their activism, attitude and spirit?
More Articles:10 Reasons Why We Love Betty White by Jennifer Wegerer
Incoming search terms:
- betty white age